quarta-feira, 26 de outubro de 2011

Names of God


In Biblical times names were very important. They revealed a person’s character or expressed the situation or circumstances when the person was born or the expectations of the parents.

“LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” Psalm 8.1a
The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” Prov. 18.10
“Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I  tell them? God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM”. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’” Exodus 3.13-1

The Lord is ALL IN ALL. Here are some names of our God that represent His character, His attributes, how He manifested Himself to His people, Israel. And He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Names of God (in the Old Testament)
  • ELOHIM ("God”- God's power and might, Creator) Gn. 1.1, Psalm 19.1.
  • ADONAI ("Lord”- the Lordship of God) Malachi 1.6
  • JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM ("The Lord my sanctifier”) Exodus 31.13
  • JEHOVAH-ROHI (“The Lord my shepherd”) Psalm 23.1
  • JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH ("The Lord who is present" ) Ezekiel 48.35
  • JEHOVAH-RAPHA ("The Lord our healer”) Exodus 15.26
  • JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU ("The Lord our righteousness”) Jeremiah 23.6
  • JEHOVAH-JIREH ("The Lord will provide”) Genesis 22.13-14
  • JEHOVAH-NISSI ("The Lord our banner")Exodus 17.15
  • JEHOVAH-SHALOM ("The Lord is peace”) Judges 6.24
  • JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH ("The Lord of Hosts”) Isaiah 6.1-3
  • EL-ELYON ("The most high God”) Genesis 14.17-20, Isaiah 14.13-14
  • EL-ROI ("The strong one who sees”) Genesis 16.13
  • EL-SHADDAI ("The God Almighty”) Genesis 17.1, Psalm 91:1
  • EL-OLAM ("The everlasting God”) Isaiah 40.28-3
 "We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for your NAME is near; men tell of your wonderful deeds."  Psalm 75.1

Lots of blessings!
A  big hug!
Pr Silvana

Um comentário:

  1. I´m so sorry cause of the strike we teacherss from the state government are working from monday to saturday including the holidays until February/12. we won´t have vacation in january. that´s why I couldn´t go to the service the last four saturdays. but i´m gonna keep in touch trought the internet and also sharing to my e-friends all the posts in my fbk twitter and blog.
    hugs to everybody!

    ResponderExcluir