quarta-feira, 23 de maio de 2012

May 19th

“FORGIVEN AND RESTORED”
Pr. Silvana

     The calling of the apostle Peter Peter was called to follow Jesus and he immediately did it.   
Matthew 4.18-20: “As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.” At once they left their nets and followed Him.”

     Peter was one of the closest disciples of Jesus
Matthew 17.1: “After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.” “The transfiguration”: Peter had this amazing experience with Jesus.
Mark 14.32-33: “They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled.” During Jesus’ ministry, Peter was always close to Him, especially in the most important events such as the prayer time at the Gethsemane garden.

-       Peter walked on the water – Matthew 14.28-33
-       Peter confessed Jesus: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”, as a revelation from the Father – Matthew 16.13-20
  Jesus prayed for Peter – Luke 22.31-34: “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers. But he replied, “Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death. Jesus answered, “I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me.”

  Peter denies Jesus, but repents and cries bitterly
Matthew 26.69-75: “Now Peter was sitting out in the courtyard, and a servant girl came to him. “You also were with Jesus of Galilee,” she said. But he denied it before them all. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said. Then he went out to the gateway, where another girl saw him and said to the people there, “This fellow was with Jesus of Nazareth.” He denied it again, with an oath: “I don’t know the man!” After a little while, those standing there went up to Peter and said, “Surely you are one of them, for your accent gives you away.” Then he began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, “I don’t know the man!” Immediately a rooster crowed. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: “Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times.” And he went outside and wept bitterly.”

      
-       Jesus reinstates (reintegrates, restores) Peter
John 21.15-17: “When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these? “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”  The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.”


-       There is power in forgiveness. Power to restore, to reintegrate, to reinstate.
-       God is a God of a second chance. He offers us forgiveness and a new start, instead of accusation and condemnation.
-       Peter was forgiven and restored. He took profit of his second chance and continued serving God.
-       Nobody could accuse and condemn Peter for having denied Jesus, because Jesus Himself chose Peter and counted on him to take care of His sheep.

Peter continued serving God with courage and boldness, free from any accusation or condemnation, because Jesus had forgiven him and restored him.
-       Acts 1.15: “In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty)”.
-          Acts 2.14: “Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.”

-          I John 1.9: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”

-          Romans 8.1: “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário